Sunday, January 20, 2013

Provisioning Profiles - a labor of love

Well, this provisioning profile thing has turned out to be quite a bear - as it always is. Yesterday, I found a post in stack overflow that seemed to be getting to the root of the issue. Today, I'm going to try to see if it works.

The first thing I'm doing is backing up the project (I know - I need to put it on git or svn).

Wait. I need to rename my device, because right now it's confusingly called "My Name's iPod" when it's an iPhone. Arghh.

I deleted my app profiles, but when I try to create a new one, it's showing up with the iPod name, though (as before) with the correct id for my iPhone.

Ok, I had to delete the old one, then added the device from Xcode's organizer view. A small victory, at least. It's showing up now as iPhone (which, btw, I renamed in organizer also just by double-clicking).

Ok, for grins I'm going use the assistant to create a provisioning profile.

At the launch:


"Introduction
To run an application you're developing for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, you must have a Provisioning Profile and a Development Certificate installed on your device and your Mac. The Provisioning Assistant will guide you through the steps to create and install your Development Provisioning Profile and iOS Development Certificate."

So, the profile and dev cert have to be on *both* the device and the Mac. 

Ok, now select an app. 

That's good. The app name is "JlptVocabQuiz". 

Now,  choose an existing iPhone device - pick my iPhone (just renamed). 

Now, "Use your existing developer certificate".  Ah, it's all starting to make sense. This wizard really organizes the process nicely. 

Now:

"Name your Provisioning Profile

A Provisioning Profile is a collection of your App ID, Apple device UDID, and iOS Development Certificate that allows you to install your application on your device."

This is really nice. Pulling it all together. Now, I just need to give a name.

"Enter a common name or description for your Provisioning Profile using alphanumeric characters. The description you specify will be used throughout the Provisioning Portal to identify this Provisioning Profile."

Let's call "JlptProfileForIphone". 

"Step 1: Download

Download the Provisioning Profile to your Mac."

Ok, it's in the download folder:

"Step 2: Install
Connect your device to your Mac and drag the downloaded Provisioning Profile into the ‘Organizer’ window within Xcode. This will automatically install the .mobileprovision file in the proper folder."

Ok - should I clean out the provision profile entries from project file first? I think I will. 

Ok - new error. Problem with linking to flurry analytics. Delete all references and the library - and successful build!

Let's see if it runs on the device....

Took a couple of tries, but yes - finally the app on the iPhone. But - the mp3s aren't sounding. On to the next problem. 









No comments:

Post a Comment